|Nadine's Now-Signature Chili || || |
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour 50 mins
When the weather outside is frightful, make chili.
- 2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
- any leftover taco meat from the night before (optional)
- 2 cloves (or 1 jumbo clove) garlic, minced
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can (398 ml) tomato sauce, no salt added
- 2 cans (540 ml each) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 can (398 ml) pizza sauce
- 1 can chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- to taste, red pepper flakes
- Brown meat in French oven (or stovetop pot of your choosing).
- While meat browns, add garlic and onion.
- Stir occasionally until onion is clear, no pink remains in meat.
- Drain excess liquid.
- Add everything else, stir. (Note: crush the stewed tomatoes in your hands before adding them to the chili.)
- Add more spices, salt to taste.
- Say, "Mmm."
- Simmer on low for an hour or so.
- Serve. Eat. And make people love you.
If possible, buy "no salt added" canned goods. It's more fun controlling the salt level yourself. Secret ingredients: chopped green chilies and cumin. Don't skip 'em.
Recipe by Nadine At Home at http://nadineathome.com/chili-weather/